I admit that the hubby and I don’t decorate the outside of our house. Not even a wreath on the door. And inside...just a tree, and a few decorations around the living room. But what about all the other people who have been waiting for the first real cold snap or (almost) snowfall to get the ball rolling on their Christmas decorating?
On November 3, 2015, Loblaw issued a voluntarily recall of its Life at Home® Indoor M5 Multicolour LED Lights Set of 70 with UPC 058703379152, model #HPCAL70CX/2S. The reason? Didn’t meet CSA standards and might pose a fire hazard.
Then, on November 13th, Health Canada issued a warning of defects with some seasonal lights. Consumers were advised that recalls were issued by Loblaw (for the above mentioned lights), and by Dollarama for Christmas Light 50 Miniature Straight Line Indoor Light Set (reason here was overheating and fire hazard).
To add more agony to the deck-the-halls-with-5000-twinkly-lights crowd, on November 20th, Loblaw expanded its recall to include:
- Life at Home® Indoor M5 Warm White LED Lights set of 70 (model #HPCAL70AX/2S) (UPC 058703379145)
- Life at Home® Indoor Multicolour Snowflake or Star LED Lights set of 35 (model #HPCAL35CX/1S) (UPC 058703379169)
- Life at Home® Indoor Pure White Snowflake or Star LED Lights set of 35 (model #HPCAL35AX/1S) (UPC 058703379176)
- Life at Home® LED Indoor Multicolour Lights set of 35 (model #N/A) (UPC 058703272316)
- Life at Home® M5 Warm White LED Lights set of 35 (model #HPCAL35AX/1S) (UPC 058703272323)
- Life at Home® Indoor Clear Miniature lights set of 100 (model #HPCA100BX/2S) (UPC 058703379053)
- Life at Home® Indoor Multicolour Miniature Lights set of 100 (model #HPCAL100BX/2S) (UPC 058703379060)
The same day, a recall was also issued by Shoppers Drug Mart for the following:
- Indoor 100 Lights Mini Light Set Warm White (model #ZHCA100BX/2S) (UPC 057800905455)
- Indoor 100 Lights Mini Light Set Multicoloured (model #ZHCA100BX/2S) (UPC 057800905462)
- Indoor 200 Lights Mini Light Set Multicoloured (model #ZHCA200BX/4S) (UPC 057800905479)
- Indoor 200 Lights Mini Light Set Clear (model #ZHCA200BX/4S) (UPC 057800905486)
- Outdoor/Indoor 100 Lights LED C6 Warm White (model #ZHCAL100WCX/2S) (UPC 057800905585)
- Outdoor/Indoor 100 Lights LED C6 Multicoloured (model #ZHCAL100WCX/2S) (UPC 057800905592)
None of the above met CSA standards and may pose a fire/electric shock hazard.
No one wants their homes to go up in flames, at Christmas, or any time of the year, but recalls such as these can wreak havoc with one’s Christmas dreams.
Let’s do some math.
If you have an 8’ Christmas tree, the various sources I read all suggested 100-200 lights per vertical foot. That means you would need 800-1,600 lights...just for the tree. A tree. Some people do two or three indoor trees.
Our tree is 9', and that baby gets a max of 600 lights. That's all I can stand to do.
Carry over that equation to the outside of the house. Let’s base these calculations on a 2-storey home - approx. 25’ in height and 40’ wide - only 100 lights per vertical foot - and let’s also assume the average diameter of an 8’ tree (at its widest) is 5’. This means our end result will be based on 8 (40’ divided by 5’) sections 25’ high.
25’ x 100 lights = 2,500 lights
2,500 lights x 8 sections = 20,000 lights
Have a Happy Griswold Family Christmas!!!!